Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Evangelical Leaders Join Global Warming Initiative

Despite opposition from some of their colleagues, 86 evangelical Christian leaders have decided to back a major initiative to fight global warming, saying "millions of people could die in this century because of climate change, most of them our poorest global neighbors."

Among signers of the statement, which will be released in Washington on Wednesday, are the presidents of 39 evangelical colleges, leaders of aid groups and churches, like the Salvation Army, and pastors of megachurches, including Rick Warren, author of the best seller "The Purpose-Driven Life."

"For most of us, until recently this has not been treated as a pressing issue or major priority," the statement said. "Indeed, many of us have required considerable convincing before becoming persuaded that climate change is a real problem and that it ought to matter to us as Christians. But now we have seen and heard enough."


I've got to give credit where credit is due. I've long complained about prominent Christians focusing on stupid issues like preventing civil unions and boycotting t.v. shows, but these guys are stepping up to the plate.

Not all the evangelical leaders are on board, though:

Some of the nation's most high-profile evangelical leaders, however, have tried to derail such action. Twenty-two of them signed a letter in January declaring, "Global warming is not a consensus issue." Among the signers were Charles W. Colson, the founder of Prison Fellowship Ministries; James C. Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family; and Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention.


All quotes from the New York Times.

20 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Excellent news. I just hope more politicians get on board now.

I swear your blog has a poltergiest! I've just tried to read comments twice and my computer has not only frozen but had these bizarre lines appear all over the screen!

Sadie Lou said...

I really am not a fan of Rick Warren. Just had to say that.

The Jewish Freak said...

There are issues far more important and pressing than global warming for a religious community to address. Leave GW for the LW and their paid scientist cohorts.

JDHURF said...

Politics make for strange bed mates. I can’t remember who is credited with that quote but it sure is true. Sadie, I can’t stand Rick Warren either.

asher said...

I really think it would have more impact if scientists would write such a request...especially now when we have a cold snap in the Northeast.

Of course the worst offender to global pollution are our good friends in mainland China (I would have said communist china but they don't seem to have any kind of govenment). Since they have billions in population and have no qualms about how much garbage they put into the atmosphere, any starting point would have to begin with them. Care to take them on?

Wandering Coyote said...

JA: I thought of you when I read the top post here at Caro's Words. It's a really good read.

Baconeater said...

Have some of the Fundies given up on the Rapture? This is very unFundamental thinking.

dbs said...

I'm pleasantly surprised. Can a statement from the Moetzet G'Dolai Ha'Torah be far behind.

Nails said...

I bet it's chaos this morning in the red states.

Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

The 'warming' the pastor feels might be from another church fire.

Sadie Lou said...

jdhurf--I saw your thread on atheists.com and it kinda made me feel bad. I thought we had reached a mutual respect?
I posted my thoughts on this, this morning.

Jewish Atheist said...

Wow, bad taste, SL.

Jewish Atheist said...

Er that's aronovitz, not sadie lou

CyberKitten said...

I'm still curious as to what can be more important than saving the planet and the life on it...

JDHURF said...

Sadie I posted on your emotion drivin’ and vitriol inducing thread.
By the way JA I am ashamed to see that you immediately jumped the bandwagon….show me even ONE instance where I called Sadie Lou a bad name….just one would do. I never called anyone a bad name or derided anyone personally. Posts that play on ones emotion are unjust, all I ever said at WORST was that you new posts MAY be outrageous…I never called you any names!!!

Laura said...

Back to global warming...

Coalitions is what issues need before they gain steam. Look at the civil rights movmement, for example, and all the different kinds of people who worked together. I hope they stick with this.

Bacon: I was thinking the exact same thing.

Foilwoman said...

Where's the post in question between jdhurf and sadie lou?

Sadie Lou said...

JDHURF--I don't want to hijack JA comments section. I didn't know how else to find you and let you know about the post so I chose here.
If you want to continue the conversation--do it on my blog. This post has nothing to do with.

JA--I'm sorry I brought it up on your comments. Don't feel obligated to address JDHURF's questions here, you can do it on my blog where it belongs.
:)
Sorry everyone.

JDHURF said...

Done and done.

Anonymous said...

JDHURF is a homosexual neo-nazi, so he's just a bit confused.

Don't let him bother you.